Conor McGregor News: McGregor's Team Cries Foul Over Stripping of Featherweight Belt
On Monday, Conor McGregor's reign as the UFC's first and only simultaneous two-weight world champion came to an end when he was stripped of his world featherweight title.
According MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani (per Bleacher Report), "The Notorious" had no plans to relinquish the said title. It was the UFC, however, who decided to strip McGregor of the title, after he had failed to defend it for an entire year. José Aldo, who previously held the interim title, has been promoted to undisputed champion.
McGregor won the title against Aldo last December at UFC 194 by finishing the fight in 13 seconds with one left hand. But since bagging the belt, he chose to take two fights against Nate Diaz at UFC 196 in March and UFC 202 in August, then went on to challenge Eddie Alvarez's lightweight title at UFC 205 last November 12 in New York. He won the fight via second round stoppage.
During press conferences and even his post-UFC 205 interviews, McGregor had repeatedly claimed that "it would take an army" for him to be stripped of his two belts. But when it finally happened, his team is expectedly not happy about it.
In his appearance on the Red FM breakfast show (via Severe MMA), McGregor's head coach John Kavanagh expressed his disappointment on the matter. Particularly, he ripped on the UFC about how they went about taking care of the situation.
"They felt they had to make this for a title in order for it to sell so they brought in another interim title that Jose Aldo already has and then bumped Jose Aldo up to the current undisputed champion," Kavanagh said. "Which just seems ridiculous to me."
As the new champion, Aldo is now expected to face the winner of the fight between top 145-pound contenders Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis. The said fight will be taking place as the new headliner for UFC 206 on December 10 in Toronto.
© 2017 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
JOIN A CONVERSATION
- NBA News: Boston Celtics Willing to Shatter Expectations, Select Lonzo Ball With No. 1 Pick in 2017 Draft