UFC Rumors 2016: Jose Aldo Following Conor McGregor's Path, Wants Lightweight Title Too?
José Aldo is looking at another piece of hardware just days after he was given back his UFC undisputed featherweight belt.
The said title was previously held by Conor McGregor, who won the belt in December 2015 against Aldo at UFC 194. But instead of defending the title, he chose to face former lightweight title contender Nate Diaz two consecutive times this year, then challenge Eddie Alvarez, who then held the UFC lightweight title.
"The Notorious" did achieve his goal and made history of becoming the UFC's first simultaneous two-weight world champion when he defeated Alvarez at UFC 205 last November 12 in New York City via second round TKO. But his reign was not a lengthy one, as he was stripped of the 145-pound pound undisputed belt on Monday.
Now that he is champion again, Aldo is waiting on the interim title fight between Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis at UFC 206 on December 10 in Toronto. But even with that on hand, the Team Nova Uniao representative is already looking ahead into his future, assuming he successfully defends the belt.
"First, I want to defend my title, and then go after a fight with him (at lightweight)," Aldo told Brazil's Planeta SportTV (via Bloody Elbow). "Just like Dana (White) said, we can choose who we want to fight, so I want to fight him. That's what will happen."
Just a few weeks ago, Aldo was on the verge of leaving the UFC and quitting mixed martial arts altogether. His grievances were brought on by being continuously denied of his shot at the undisputed featherweight title. He did manage to patch things up with UFC president Dana White during a meeting at the UFC headquarters in Las Vegas in mid-October.
Aldo last fought in July at UFC 200 in a rematch against Frankie Edgar. He won the fight via unanimous decision, and the interim 145-pound title belt along with it.
© 2016 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.