UFC News: Dana White Shelving Conor McGregor For Lengthy Period
It looks like UFC president Dana White will be shutting down Conor McGregor for a lengthy period of time.
"The Notorious" fought his third fight for 2016 when he faced Eddie Alvarez last November 12 in New York City at UFC 205. He ceremoniously bagged the lightweight title after winning via second round knockout, making him the first and only simultaneous two-weight world champion in the UFC.
Right after the fight, during the post-event press conference, McGregor revealed that he was having his first child with long-time girlfriend Dee Devlin, and will be out for ten months. The child is expected to be born around May of the coming year.
Since he entered the UFC in 2013, McGregor had been actively competing, and the lay-off would be the longest one in his career so far. The UFC, for their part, is generous enough to grant the 28-year-old Irish fighter some time off to accommodate the birth of his child. According to UFC president Dana White, McGregor is not expected to be seen during the entire time he said he would be away.
"Conor told me, 'I'm not available for 10 months,'" White said (via MMA Junkie). "We're having a baby. My girl stresses out when I fight and I don't want to put that on her while she's pregnant.' I love it. I respect it. I get it. Do your thing, buddy. And that's it. He's not in any of our plans for the next 10 months."
McGregor is currently considered as the UFC's biggest draw, and a lengthy absence such as the ten-month hiatus he mentioned may affect the company's numbers. Despite the scenario, White seems unbothered and is looking to run his business as usual.
"We've done this for 16 years, with a lot of big stars who couldn't fight or moved on - Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, Georges St-Pierre," White said in a November interview with the Los Angeles Times.
© 2016 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.