Juan Manuel Marquez Next Fight: 'Dinamita' Not Ready to Retire, Eyeing June 24 Bout
After a long layoff, Juan Manuel Marquez has confirmed that he might return on the ring in the middle of the year, although there's no opponent yet. The former WBO welterweight champ, however, has never made it a secret that he wants Miguel Cotto next.
"I have discussed June 24, but I have to see about the opponent, the location, the money, which is ultimately an important part, but first we have to wait and see how we are," Marquez told ESPN Deportes, per Boxing Scene. "The preparation is going well, but we have to see where the location will be, the opponent and if it works for us."
The fight against Cotto would have happened last year, but the talks collapsed because the two camps could not agree on the catchweight. "Dinamita" wanted the bout at 147 pounds, while his Puerto Rican opponent wanted it at around 150 pounds.
If they could agree on the catchweight, there's a good possibility about Marquez returning to the ring facing Cotto on June 24. The only thing for certain right now is there's never going to be a Marquez vs Pacquiao 5.
There are talks that a fifth Pacquiao fight could net Marquez around $60 million, but the 43-year-old insisted it's never going to happen even if he's going to be offered $100 million. "The economic factor is important, but what moves me more is legacy," he explained. "It moves me more to have a great opponent in the ring. With Pacquiao, we closed that chapter. Cotto is a great fighter, he has a great legacy."
For now, Marquez is ramping up on his cardio in preparation for his return to the ring after about two years. He said that he will do two fights this year, and then see what his body will tell him. After one more "important fight," then he will then consider retirement "if my family tells me."
© 2017 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.