Canelo Alvarez Win vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Gives Him A Shot at Gennady Golovkin, Says Golden Boy Exec
If all the doubters are not giving Saul Canelo Alvarez enough motivation to win against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. this Saturday, his promoter just provided him one. A victory will get him a sure ticket to a megafight against undefeated Gennady Golovkin.
Golden Boy Promotions promoter Eric Gomez said the Alvarez vs Golovkin fight could get made later this year. "We're close and I think we can get the fight done," he said. "But obviously we have to wait and see what happens this Saturday. That's the most important thing. If he loses, there is no Golovkin fight."
Gomez also said that Alvarez should win decisively, such as knocking out Chavez Jr., to get people interested in the fight against Golovkin. The Golden Boy president has been leading the negotiations with K2 Promotions, the handler of the Kazakh fighter, to schedule the fight in September this year.
However, if it's a close fight with Chavez Jr., then that could warrant a rematch just to get the doubt off people's minds about who is the better boxer. Of course, it will depend on the pay-per-view numbers as well.
But that's assuming that Alvarez wants to fight Golovkin in the first place. For the longest time, Chavez Jr. has been taunting his opponent about always ducking Triple G. A lot of people think Canelo is afraid if Triple G, and I think the same too. Canelo thinks this is an easy fight, and he thinks Triple G is more difficult," he said.
The perception is warranted considering that Alvarez opted to vacate his WBC middleweight title rather than face Golovkin last year. Chavez Jr. explained that his opponent thought that he would be the easier fight than Triple G considering that he will drop down to 164.5 pounds. The son of the boxing legend, however, insisted that the assumption would be the biggest mistake of his opponent's life.
© 2017 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.