Utah Teacher Accused Of Raping 17-Year-Old: Who Is Coach Courtney Jarrell?
A Utah high school teacher and girls basketball coach is accused of raping a 17-year-old female student, according to reports.
Prosecutors say that 22-year-old Courtney Louise Jarrell had sexual encounters with a 17-year-old girl who attends Riverton High School, where Jarrell taught math and coached the sophomore girls' basketball team.
Court documents show that the sexual activity happened at the house of the Utah teacher accused of raping the 17-year-old in February and March.
Jarrell was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with rape, a first-degree felony, and forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.
Jordan School District spokeswoman Sandy Riesgraf said that Jarrell resigned from the school on Friday after having been on administrative leave since the allegations arose a month ago. Per KSL-TV, she resigned to focus on her defense and will plead not guilty.
- The Utah teacher accused of raping the 17-year-old had been teaching in the Jordan District for just eight months.
- She was suspended after the district received "a complaint about inappropriate behavior," which was immediately turned over to police.
- The district had only received the one complaint regarding Jarrell.
- Students said that they were surprised to hear about the Utah teacher being accused of raping a 17-year-old because she was a popular teacher everyone seemed to like.
- The Utah teacher accused of raping 17-year-old is due in court on May 16.
© 2016 iSports Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
JOIN A CONVERSATION
- Seattle Seahawks Rumors: Will the Minnesota Vikings Consider Trade for Marshawn Lynch to Replace Adrian Peterson?